Thursday, February 7, 2008

I'm One!

Today is my 1st Blogiversary! Isn't this cake to die for? I really wish I could have a slice today! Check out the other fabulous cakes by Butterfly Sweets here. If I lived closer, I would definitely order one of these!

Dear Blogworld Friends,

It has been quite a year for me and I thank y'all for coming along for the ride. I started this blog as an outlet during my wedding planning one year ago today. I remember the day I told my husband I wanted to start a blog. He thought I was CRAZY! I had been reading Preppy Cafe and The Preppy Wedding for a long time and I wanted to join in on the fun. After convincing my husband that some crazies wouldn't show up at our door, he helped me establish some ground rules. First he made me promise him I would not use clear pictures of ourselves, use my real name (or his) and the hardest part...not tell anyone. We agreed I would only tell my friend S, my brother and my sister about my blog so I would not have to worry about editing my thoughts. I liked the idea of having an online journal of sorts with all of these nice people writing me back. Well, our little rules lasted a good while until my sweet brother drank a bit too much and told one of my best friends (and her family) at my rehearsal dinner about my fabulous blog. Somehow or another all of my bridesmaids proceeded to find out. =) But I'm glad they are in the know now as I really don't mind. However, I still haven't told all of my friends because I like the idea of keeping this somewhat private. As one bridesmaid who recently confessed to being a daily reader said, "I like reading the unedited versions of your life," and you know what...I like writing the unedited version and I plan to continue that! I don't have anything to hide, but if EVERYONE you know is reading then inevitably you have to edit your thoughts.

So back to the recap of my year in blogging. There have been a few rough patches in my life during past year that I've decided to share. Your comments when my husband was held up at gunpoint the day I sent out my wedding invitations truly helped me get through that day. I'll also never forget this past summer when we lost our apartment and the first thing I did was come to the computer and write a post. Immediately the comments came in and they made me feel better. Recently, after a really bad week of being homesick (and witnessing a shooting during my first few weeks in the city) I confided in y'all and as I read your comments I sat on my sofa with tears running down my cheeks. Your comments and encouragement were so heartfelt and genuine. I felt so alone in this big city after my move, yet you were there with me through the whole trip helping me keep my chin up and suggesting ways to make the best of the situation.

Even though I haven't met you, each of you have been a wonderful friend to me and I thank you for that. I've asked you about which dress to wear, which shoes my bridesmaids should wear, what chair to get, and even which wedding cake to pick. You email me links to things you think I'll like, you share your cute stores with me and I especially love it when you email me how much you liked my wedding! Ha, Ha! We have had a good time together this past year. I think many of you have enjoyed my wedding tips and others have enjoyed some of my preppy finds and newfound NYC knowledge. I especially love your nice comments about my child (aka Daisy). Every Momma LOVES to hear how beautiful her baby is! =)

Blogworld has brought so many good things and people into my life. I'll never forget those first comments and the first time someone tagged me! All the $$ I've spent buying stationary and preppy gifts also gave me some good Karma! I made my dream birthday list this past August and I wake up the next morning on my birthday and there is this email from Mollie at The Paper Cafe telling me that my birthday wish for a Three Designing Women Address stamper is going to come true! Mollie, you have been so supportive of me this year and I have loved working with you on our various projects. I can't speak highly enough of The Paper Cafe! In fact, I just ordered these (they are designed by Marie at The Paper Menu -another new blogging friend) for one of my best friend's baby showers. Other examples...Imagine my surprise when I talked about my love for Whitney English stationary in a few posts and Whitney herself emails me to say thanks and sends me a little treat. And then there is Kristin from I Do Originals. She actually designed my wedding logo thanks to a tip from a reader! This is one talented girl and as my brother said it was the most well branded wedding he has ever seen. =) Mrs P from Chic actually picked out my engagement party outfit! I miss your posts Mrs. P! As you know, I LOVE stationary and the fact that the owner of Cross My Heart also sent me an email to say thanks is just unbelieveable! Oh, and I can't forget most recently the cute mousepad I featured from The Palm Gifts. Well, it actually showed at my doorstep the other day with my new initials! On Monday, I'm meeting a fellow blogger for the first time-Mrs. Preppy Wedding herself and I are going for Mexican! As you can see, my life has been enhanced because of my blogging experiences this past year.

That said, there have also been hurtful comments (I usually just delete them, but sometimes they really do upset me) and this week I received insensitive emails from someone/something that found my blog and demanded my identity and censorship on something I discussed. I like to think my blog is a happy place and as much as I want to share it with the world, it is time to take our little community private so I can say whatever I damn well please. =) Thank you ALL for the emails I have received the past few days and all the comments. I'm humbled and overwhelmed that there are so many of you that want me to continue blogging. Late last night my husband and I sat together and read through all the comments and emails and we were both just amazed. Why in the world do you want to read about little ole me? Seriously? But, I'm really glad you do! I see on the tracker that there are all of these people that read my posts each day, but now I know your names! Our relationship is moving right along...maybe by next year we'll be ready to meet!

Thank you blogworld friends for reading my posts this past year. It is because of your comments and emails that I enjoy sharing my stories with you. Cheers to another year together! Please remember to email me at magnoliasmarriageandmanhattan@gmail.com if you want to be added to the list. You should recevie an invitation sometime this weekend for our new start together.


Sincerely,


MMM

Oh and ROLL TIDE. What a HAPPY DAY for us!

PS. Sorry for any spelling mistakes...the spelling function on blogger isn't working today!

PPS. If you are a new reader here are a few of my favorite posts from the past year:

http://magnoliasmarriageandmanhattan.blogspot.com/2007/11/im-thankful.html#links

http://magnoliasmarriageandmanhattan.blogspot.com/2007/09/tailgating-essentials.html

http://magnoliasmarriageandmanhattan.blogspot.com/2007/09/our-honeymoon-pictures-part-two-lucerne.html

http://magnoliasmarriageandmanhattan.blogspot.com/2007/09/our-honeymoon-pictures-part-one-german.html

http://magnoliasmarriageandmanhattan.blogspot.com/2007/07/hello-from-troutville-va.html

http://magnoliasmarriageandmanhattan.blogspot.com/2007/03/little-ice-for-your-monday.html

27 comments:

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

Congratulations on your one year blogiversary! Thanks for sharing your stories with us. Here is to another year of posts!

ATC said...

You're so sweet! It's a shame the jerks out there want to ruin/censor such a fun, innocent blog!

Congrats on your blogging anniversary and best wishes for your future!

Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary! Thanks for the mention and the order!

Libby said...

Happy blogiversary! Here's to many more! :)

Seige said...

I'm just trying to see if I can do this correctly.
Love your blog and you, as you know!

KK said...

Happy Blogiversary! I hope you got my email adding me to your reader list.

Heather said...

Congratulations!

MRU said...

ATC-I would love an invite to your blog! =)

Suzanne said...

Happy Blogiversary! Love the story about your brother telling everyone about the blog, too funny!

Preppy Lizard said...

Happy Blogiversary! I am so glad I found your blog a few months ago...I love reading it. When I found it I literally spent hours going back and reading some of your old posts. Looking forward to another year of getting to know you.

Eat, Drink, & Sleep Preppy! said...

You're one of the most sincere, sweetest ladies I have never had to opportunity to have met!!
Keep up all the awesome post that makes me laugh,covet,and sometimes cry. I've been a reader for a long time and you inspire me to get out of my comfort zome and try new things. From one preppy girl to another...You ROCK!

Puttin' On The GRITS said...

Oh Lordy Lord!!!!! I got it all day from Bama Boy about how AMAZING ya'll are going to be next year and now I read it in your blog!!!! :)

I'm glad you're sticking around even if it is private! I love your blog!

lisagh said...

Yay! Happy Blogiversary and here's to many more!

magnoliabelle said...

Happy Blogiversary!!! Thank you for such a beautiful post and for sharing with all of us!!

Midwest Prep said...

Congrats! Hope to read many more posts! By the way- could you tell me how you track visits to you blog? I am fairly new to blooging and would love to be able to see the traffic to my blog.

Lily Goodwin said...

Happy Blogiversary!!! And many happy returns!

You are an intelligent wonderful girl, and your blog is fun, sweet, and honest... I could never imagine someone emailing you such nonsense...

Melissa said...

Congrats and happy blogiversary!

Britt said...

How exciting - what a fabulous post!
I remember reading all of those - we started out at the same time and as I read your post the other day, I realized we began posting almost exactly the same a year ago! I can't wait to see (read!) what the next year brings!

Happy blogging!

Mrs. LSL said...

Yea, congrats! So sorry to hear about the mean email though! SO terrible. But I look forward to so many more great reads! Take care, Mrs. LSL

Tres Poshe Preppy said...

HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!!! Such a nice post! I love reading your blog! It's always a cheery place! Keep up the great work!

MRU said...

Just got this from a special reader and while she can't figure out out to post on her own...I had to share. Aren't I a lucky girl?

Dear MMM,
I love reading your blog!! Even though I am your mother I have enjoyed seeing all your pictures and getting to know you through your thoughts. You are a wonderful writer (maybe a book is in your future) and I can see why so many people enjoy hearing about your life. Don't let negative people and thoughts get you down...say what you feel and be true to yourself. You make me very proud to be your Mom...I love you!

MOM

MRU said...

PS. Thanks for all the well wishes. I really really appreciate it!

Kate said...

Happy Blogiversary! Love that cake;)

tulipmom said...

Happy Blogiversary! So glad I found your little piece of the blogosphere.

Lori said...

Happy 1 year (late) and thanks for the invite!
Happy Valentine's Day!

Lori said...

Oh~ and yes, the cake is gorgeous!!

Summer Rippe said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments about my cake! It really made my day!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin