Monday, February 11, 2008

Random Reader Questions

Good morning! I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. My husband and I rested all weekend. Friday night we went to dinner here. It was one of the best meals I've had in NYC! I had the horseradish encrusted sole and we shared the chocolate molten cake for dessert. No wonder my pants are tight today! My husband also signed us up for this, which I hope will bring us more freedom in the future. I'll let you know how it goes.

On Saturday, we headed down to Pottery Barn determined to make a decision on buying a chair. We brought a swatch of fabric from our sofa and tried it against the large fabric swatches they have in the store. This (in brownstone tickting) ended up being our favorite and this (same chair but in the harbor blue ticking) was our second favorite. I also ordered a swatch of the green stripe fabric from Ballard Designs for the Remy Chair I talked about awhile ago. I went ahead and ordered this so that the shipping on my swatch was free. Like my thinking? I hope we can figure out which one to get...they are all so expensive!! With an ottoman, taxes, shipping both end up being around $1500. I guess that is normal? Seems so expensive to me! I know it will be an investment and we will have it forever though so that is good.

My invitations for A's baby shower also came on Saturday. They turned out so cute! I spent some time in the afternoon addressing them all and I got them all mailed out today! Thanks Mollie and Marie! I also ordered these for myself and they are fabulous. I even booked my ticket to Birmingham where we will be having the shower. I can't wait to see all my friends! Having a trip planned back to the South helps me not get so homesick.

Last night we went over to our friends M&K's apartment for dinner. They are very lucky to own a two bedroom apt just down the street from us. K is due with their first baby the end of March. I had a great time checking out her beautiful nursery. K is having a girl so the walls are pale green with this and this. The bedding is all pink and white and she found a fabulous bright colored rug for the room. She already has so much stuff, I had a great time looking at everything! I'm attending a shower for her in about three weeks and I ordered some cute monogrammed burp clothes and a bib and this cute sippy cup (all from Preppy Monogrammed Gifts.)

When we got home after a great dinner, my husband was watching tv in our bedroom and our bed broke!! When we moved the bed from the South it was one of the pieces that did not do well during the move. We have a sleigh bed that my husband's Mom found on major sale and we were very lucky she donated to us. Unfortunately , we have figured out the reason it was on major sale is that it is CHEAP! So my husband spent a few hours trying to nail things back in place so we wouldn't fall down last night. Our neighbors starting banging on our walls because of all the hammering. We felt bad, but not bad enough to sleep on the floor last night. We think he temporaily fixed it but it might be time to look for a new bed! Tonight I'm heading out to dinner with Mrs. Preppy Wedding. I'm looking forward to finally meet her!

I need some new makeup! What are your favorites? I love Bobbi Brown's shimmer brick and Chanel lipgloss, but I need some new staples. Anyone have a favorite for dark circles (this city is bringing mine out)?

I have a friend that is planning a trip to Boston this spring. She would like to go to a Yankees vs. Sox game. Any tips for her on how to secure some tickets (she already missed the lottery)?

What's your favorite pair of cold weather pants? It is FREEZING here today and I need some thicker pants to wear to work. Everything in the stores in turning to spring items and it is very much still winter here.

What's everyone doing for Valentine's day? Do you buy your sweetie something?

I also need some ideas of what to get my husband for his birthday. It is in three weeks! Any good suggestions?

Can't wait to hear from everyone! I hope this private forum will encourage you to comment regularly if you feel the need.

24 comments:

Suburban prep said...

I haven't heard of zipcar before.

Snappy Casual Snippets said...

Let us know what you find for dark circles. I'm using Bare Minerals multi tasking in bisque. It works ok, but i never seem to get rid of my circles.

Seige said...

zipcar sounds really cool. can't wait to hear about that.
we are going to the beach this weekend to celebrate v-day.

also, do you have any of those jcrew pants that are lined with flannel? those always look so warm to me.

Clebis said...

Here's something that works well for dark circles: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P109931&categoryId=C16810

It's Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage.

Susan said...

Hi MMM -
I live in upstate NY and its even colder here - I love wool pants and turtlenecks this time of year!
Good luck!

Heather said...

The Pottery Barn chair looks cute. I hope you find a good one. It sounds like you might be bed shopping now too...Furniture is so expensive, it is crazy.

Britt said...

I don't know about pants - but when you find out, let me know because I may be resorting to longjohns this week! It's so cold and even cords aren't enough!

Make-up, I love Tarte blush and I've heard the Mac gel liner is good. I've been using a Mac face primer which I think really helps keep make-up on and fresh during the day.

Good luck with the bed hunt!

Barefoot in the Park said...

Buying new furniture leads to sticker shock but the prices you say seem to be in line to me for a chair and ottoman. PB/Ballard are good quality pieces and will last you a long time...worth the investment! Good luck with your fabric choice!!

Anonymous said...

I like Cargo lipgloss- and you can can purchase the tins at Sephora-also I like Stilla.

As for your husband- a nice sweater with the zipper collar-try Lord and Taylor-very popular with both my father and brother.

Laura

Beth said...

I also love the Tarte blush...Mrs. Claus (aka, my mother in law!) left some in my stocking this year and I have turned a few friends on to it. I just picked up Bare Minerals "Well Rested" powder last week. So far, so good.

My husband and I were just chatting about getting a Zip Car membership. So funny! I really want to explore around the city -- Long Island, Saratoga Springs, etc. Cannot wait to hear how you like it!

Kiki said...

Furniture is expensive - never fun to have to make a big purchase like that. Especially if you are going to need a bed soon too. . .
For dark circles, i have used Benefit concealer and really like it, the coverage is really, really good. I am actually on my third jar of it. I have also heard Bobbi Brown makes a good concealer too and want to try it, but am so attached to the Benefit. . .

TLA said...

Re: zipcar: We have it here in Raleigh, but Ive never used it (I have a car). If it werent for my newish role at work (which necessitates driving), I would have loved to have gotten rid of my car and used this service. I think its a great idea...Im VERY anti-car and walk everywhere I can!

Re: Valentines menu: My SSO (semi-significant other ;)) is bartending that night, so I plan on bringing him the following: iceberg wedge with chunky bleu cheese dressing, chopped roma tomatoes, jalapeno bacon bits and bleu cheese crumbles; crab stuffed mushrooms with bearnaise; rare filet mignon and wild mushrooms sauteed in cabernet reduction; 3-cheese mac and cheese with bleu cheese topping; red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and banana chocolate chip cupcakes with white chocolate frosting.

Yes he is a bleu cheese freak!

Im making the cupcakes, the mushrooms and the mac and cheese the day before, then going to the pub after yoga that night and suprising him.

Im going to grill the steaks, warm up the mac n cheese, whip up the mushroom sauce, run the stuffed mushrooms under the broiler and throw together the wedges when I get to the pub so everything will be hot. Im lucky that I have access to a commercial kitchen. And Im bringing enough cupcakes to share with the entire staff since they work so hard.

If I were celebrating at home, Id make cheese fondue, french onion soup, a big green salad with a dijon vinaigrette and then either a creme brulee or a dark chocolate fondue with favorite liqueur for dessert. Im a big fondue dork and I think its very romantic and sensual to touch your food. Another sexy appetizer if you enjoy shellfish is shrimp-oyster-bacon wraps. Just skewer a shucked oyster and a raw shrimp so that the shrimp sort of wraps around the oyster, wrap the whole thing with your favorite bacon and grill. Serve with a mignonette or clarified butter. Yum!

Have a great Valentines Day!

Red and White Preppy said...

I am really a fan of J. Crew's lined wool pants. I have a few pairs, and while they are on the pricey side, I buy them in classic styles so that I can wear them for a few years.

Melissa said...

Yankees/Sox tickets are SO hard to find. She will probably have to pay a lot of $ for them. I would try ebay or stubhub.com.

For dark circles I use Max Factor Panstick. It does a pretty good job.

I'm in CT, not too far away from NYC, it's SO cold! Good luck finding warmer clothes!

Lauren said...

I use Bobbi Brown concealer and corrector for dark circles- they work really well for me.

I love Nars lipgloss in scandal (though I am not really a scandalous person). I think it is a little dark (for me) for during the day, though. I also like Chanel spark and sirop.

Those baby gifts are so cute. I need to come up with some gifts for one of my best friends who is having a boy in a few months. Her taste is not preppy at all so I am having the hardest time coming up with ideas. I have gotten two smocked outfits and think I might get a monogrammed silver pacifier holder, but that is all I cam think of. Any ideas?

Hope you and Preppy Wedding have fun at dinner! Can't wait for details!

magnoliabelle said...

V-day....Treating myself to a reflexology session and I'm thinking about some classic romantic movie afterwards:)

SarahNash said...

My dad used zipcar in Seattle and loved it - I don't think many other people used it there, so he had no trouble getting a car for the whole day!


Thanks for the invite to your blog!

It's that time to be stocking up on baby/wedding shower gifts, so keep the ideas coming!

Stacey said...

I'm using Lancome's Effacernes Waterproof for under-eye circles. I saw it in Real Simple as being one of the best... it seems to work pretty well! The thing I like most about it is if that's all I want to put on that day, I can and it's waterproof for the summer time! It doesn't require other makeup to blend.

Unknown said...

Chalk up another vote for Benefit. I have a little set called the 'realness of concealness' or something clever like that and it has all their goodies. I love Chanel and Bobbi Brown lipglosses.

I have a car, but tons of my friends here in Chicago use zipcar and love it.

Since it's super cold here, I wear a lot of lined flannel or wool pants.

Somewhat Southern Prep said...

I love everything Laura Mercier. It's my new makeup addiction. If you haven't tried it out, make a stop by their counter and see if you like it. I think you will! =)

Kristin.A said...

WOW that would be my dream nursery!! I guess I have to get through the wedding first though, right?? (10/11/08) Good luck to your friend, what an exciting time for her :)

As for your husband, I don't know whether or not he appreciates clothing and accessories, but J.Press is one of THE best kept preppy secrets. Their classic blazers are gorgeous, and their cufflinks and ties are lovely.
http://www.jpressonline.com/

Another option would be to go on a fantastic weekend trip together somewhere in the tri-state area, which will optimize your relaxation time and minimize your time spent in the car. My recommendation is the Mayflower Inn in my hometown of Washington, CT - amazing food, beautiful surroundings, and a spa that has been called the best in the country.
http://www.mayflowerinn.com/

As for make-up, well this is my favorite topic!! The first place start battling those dark circles is at the source!! I use Hylexian, it's worth the $$.
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P113602&categoryId=B70

Your make-up only looks as good as the skin underneath it, so skin care is not the place to scrimp! I slather Cle de Peau's Anti-Age Spot Serum, http://us.strawberrynet.com/productDetail.aspx?ProdId=45713&goChar=C there is nothing better to even skin tone. I then follow it up with Creme de la Mer's La Creme. Seriously,my skin GLOWS in the middle of winter. Priceless.

You'll want to follow up with a creamy concealer, this is NOT the place to go oil free (although make sure your foundation is!!) Laura Mercier is great, although on me it does tend to cake in my under-eye creases. I'm currently in love with the entire Armani cosmetic collection. Everything is very light and feels scrumptious on the skin. Their lipsticks are also THE VERY BEST I HAVE TRIED, and the color collections are always exactly what I want (without even realizing it!) to feel absolutely current.
http://www.giorgioarmanibeauty-usa.com/_us/_en/home/index.aspx

Other lines worth your time:
Shiseido
Dior (GREAT summer time bronzing foundation)
Yves St. Laurent

Happy hunting, you can call me anything for a consult, all my girlfriends do!

Kristin.A said...

PS Tanya can you come to my house and make ME dinner??? That sounds amazing!!

cbp said...

Love the nursery.

I need some warm pants as well, especially since we are currently having an ice storm of sorts here in Maryland. Everything is covered in a sheet of ice. Ugh!

Sportskids Team said...

Help your big league dreams come true with these beautiful and comfortable sports bedding and kids bedding MLB Logo comforters and sheet sets with discount price at mlb-comforter.com

mlb comforter

Blog Widget by LinkWithin