Monday, May 7, 2007

Unemployed and Homeless

Jimmy Buffet in ATLThe Mullet Toss!
My invitations are out!
Daisy loving boatrides and the beach!


Hey everyone. Sorry for the lack of posts. I've been enjoying being unemployed and homeless! After I closed on my house I went to my fiances for a week break. We enjoyed a great Jimmy Buffett concert and finished planning our honeymoon. I then drove to my parent's beach house and went with my brother and sister and a bunch of their friends to Widespread Panic here and the world famous Mullet Toss here. We had a great time!

Last week I was in wedding boot camp with my Mom. We finalized my cake (more details later). We stamped and sealed all the invitations and inserted all 275 response cards. We mailed them out on Thursday and it felt great! I worked on the program text and picked readings and music. My sister and I sent out my bachlorette party invitations. I met with my wedding coordinator and discussed the table decor and set up for the reception. We ordered all the ribbon I needed for everything and we ordered all the other paper products. I got my dress back from the dry cleaners and I set up my bridal portraits. My engagement annoucement was in the paper in my parent's hometown and my fiance's hometown. A few wedding presents have started trickling in and I'm trying to keep up with thank you notes. Everything is coming together! This week I need to work on the out of town weekend programs. Anyone have any good ideas for these?

Thursday night/Friday morning I also experienced one of the scariest moments of my life. My fiance finished his last final for MBA school this past Thursday night. He and his friends went out to the bars in Virginia Highlands in Atlanta. His apartment is within walking distance the bars and we often just walk home. He and his friend were walking home around 1:30am and a car pulled out of an alleyway. A guy jumped out of the car in front of my fiance with a shotgun and told him to give him all of his stuff. My fiance handed over his wallet (with just $40.00 in it). The man patted him down and also made him give over his keys (car and apartment) and cell phone (that he had just purchased that day). The good news is that he is safe and they caught one of the guys (he was just 21 years old), found the car and recovered the shotgun. The bad news, well, I guess that is pretty obvious. Excuse my language, but it scared the SHIT out of me and I know it scared him as well. It was a reminder that even in the safest of areas bad things can happen. Things like this happen everyday and night all over the world, but when the gun is held to someone you love it brings a new reality to the bad in the world. This experience was a reminder that I am so in love with this man that it made me sick to my stomach when I received the call at 3:30am telling me what happened. The thoughts of what could have happened to him are so overwhelming that I have tried to erase it from memory. Remember to hug someone you love today and tell them how much you love them.

I'll be back later with some lighter subjects and more updates on the wedding....less than two months until our big day! I hope you have a wonderful Monday.

13 comments:

Britt said...

Scary! Just glad that fiance is ok - thats a horrible thing!

Sounds like you have been busy - good for you getting the invites out, I imagine thats a relief and a half...
Here's something that might help you with your out of town weekend programs...(we are trying to come up with something too, including a map, so guests can get around),
This lady does them for you, but I got some great ideas from her map (found this on the Knot, I think)
http://www.freewebs.com/babendesigns/mapsnewsletters.htm

Britt said...

Oh, the first 2 examples on her webpage are for Atlanta weddings - that might be helpful!!

DebbieDo said...

OMG! I'm so glad he is ok. Thanks for the reminder, I make sure to tell my hubby everyday that I love him.

Melissa said...

OH my gosh I am so sorry that happened to your fiance. How absolutely terrifying for both of you. I am so glad he is ok.

hqm said...

Glad to here you are moving right along with your wedding plan! Everything sounds so lovely!
And REALLY glad to hear your fiance is safe and sound! So scary !

Allie_in_Ga said...

That is really scary, even more knowing that I am in that area a lot! I am glad that your FI is ok.

Mrs. Shelton said...

I know how relieved you are to have invites out. I got all 275 of mine out on Monday and it felt so good. I think that was most of my stress. Where did you end up getting your ribbon from? I am glad your fiance is okay!

J said...

That is so scary. I am so glad he is okay!

Ladybug said...

OMG! I am glad he is alright. That is very scary!

RED said...

WOW! That is some serious news! I'm so happy that your FI is OK, that's super scary!
Otherwise, it's nice to hear all the things you've been checking off the to-do list, including enjoying some time with the FI!

Tres Poshe Preppy said...

OMG! How horrible but thankfully he is ok. Sounds like you have been busy but are still having fun.

amanda said...

scary! I can't even imagine how you must feel.

You've been getting lots done. Hooray!

Kimba said...

Wow, that hits home. I am happy everyone is ok and they found the b'stard.

God bless your guy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin