Monday, February 19, 2007

Weight Watchers Spicy Black Bean Soup



I'm going to Weight Watchers in an hour and I am scared. I tried to be good at Mardis Gras, but when you are riding on a float throwing thousands of beads and moon pies it is hard not to work up an appetite for some King Cake. The crown and diet coke in my water bottle certainly did not help. But, I was good all week long so maybe it won't be too bad. In honor of a very good week of eating ahead I will share the Weight Watchers recipe I made last night. It was great! Wish me luck...

POINTS® Value: 3
Servings: 8
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
Level of Difficulty: Moderate
The key to thickening this soup without flour? Pureeing some of the beans before cooking it. You'll love the stick-to-your-ribs texture that results.



Ingredients
1 sprays cooking spray
1 medium onion(s), finely chopped
4 medium garlic clove(s), minced
45 oz canned black beans, undrained, divided (three 15 oz cans)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
14 1/2 oz fat-free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
10 oz canned tomatoes with green chilies, such as Rotel Tomatoes
11 oz canned yellow corn, drained
Instructions
Coat bottom of a large stockpot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.


Place one can of beans in blender; add sautéed onion mixture, red pepper flakes and cumin. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour mixture back into stockpot.


Place second can of beans and broth in blender and puree until smooth; add to stockpot.


Stir third can of beans (do not puree first), tomatoes and green chilies, and corn into stockpot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Yields about 1 1/2 cups of soup per serving.

3 comments:

MC said...

Good luck at weigh in, I think I'll have to try this soup.

Britt said...

Yum, sounds great - I love black beans.

MMM said...

And it works...I lost .6 lb last night which puts me at a 5.2 lb loss! Yeah for weight watchers!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin