Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I Got a JOB!

Hi friends! Sorry for the lack of posts, we've been busy! I had a wonderful birthday. Thank y'all so much for all of your good wishes. One blog friend even came through with a surprise present and it MADE my day (more about that later)! My husband got me a ticket to the Keys to go to one of my best friend's bachelorette party over Labor Day weekend. He also sent me beautiful flowers and got me a birthday cake from Crumbs (and the Reese cupcake.)

We went to dinner here and it was wonderful! I'm still not liking the fact that Mexican restaurants in the city don't have cheese dip. Someone told me the other day that cheese dip at Mexican restaurants is a Southern thing?? Go figure!! One of my best friends took me here for a birthday dinner and welcome to NYC. It was fabulous! On Saturday night we went here (to continue my week long Mexican theme). My husband's aunt and uncle were in town and they took us out to dinner. We had a lot to celebrate this week. I also got my first job offer and I think I'm going to take it! Yeah! I'll keep you posted.

We got our first fresh direct order on Friday. Something really cool about ordering my groceries online and then having them show up at my front door! They also have a thing where you can look up recipes and then you click one button and all of the ingredients are in your cart. The day your groceries arrive, they email you your recipe. I decided to make Grilled Corn Chowder. It took awhile, but it was very yummy and my husband had two bowls! Yeah!

GRILLED CORN CHOWDERfrom "The Barbecue! Bible" by Steven Raichlen If you like a smoky flavor and you like chowder, you'll love this grilled corn chowder — especially if you grill the corn with wood chips. The open flame seems to intensify the sweetness of all the vegetables.

3 ears of corn, shucked
1 medium onion, peeled and quartered (but the root ends left on)
1 medium green bell pepper or poblano chile
1 medium red bell pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil or melted butter, or more as needed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 medium all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried
4 cups homemade chicken or vegetable stock or low-sodium canned broth
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, for garnish (optional)

1.If using a gas grill: Place the chips in the smoker box. Preheat the grill, gas or charcoal, to high.

2.When ready to cook, if using charcoal, toss the wood chips on the coals. For both methods: Brush the corn, onion, and peppers with a little oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the vegetables on the hot grate and grill, turning with tongs, until nicely charred on all sides, 16 to 20 minutes for the bell peppers, 10 to 12 minutes for the onion quarters, and 8 to 12 minutes for the corn. As they cook, baste the vegetables with additional oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, removing the vegetables as they are done to a platter to cool.

3.Cut the corn kernels off the cobs and place in a large saucepan. Using a paring knife, scrape the charred skins off the peppers and onions (don't worry about removing every last bit). Stem and seed the peppers and cut into 1/4-inch dice; cut the onion quarters into thin crosswise slices, discarding the roots. Add the peppers and onion to the corn in the saucepan.

4.Stir the diced potatoes, flour, and thyme into the vegetables and cook the mixture over medium-high heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Add the stock and bay leaf and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, at a gentle simmer until the potatoes are cooked, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the cream and cook for 2 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Remove and discard the bay leaf.

5.Spoon the chowder into bowls, sprinkle with the parsley (if using), and serve immediately.

Hope everyone is well! We got our professinal wedding pics in, so more pictures to come soon.

3 comments:

Preppy Napkin said...

Can't wait to hear about the job. It sounds like you and your hubby are having such a great time!

Buford Betty said...

How fun! I hear you on the cheese dip thing... there just seem to be no "dirty mexican" joints up there. I can't leave without my cheese dip! hehehehe We went to a good place last time we were up there... I of course forget the name, but I think it was off 51st just west of 2nd. Pricey, but really good.

Sisters with Style said...

Ooh, I like the grocery shopping on=line idea! Even better is the recipe click--you can't beat that.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin