For now, our little family plans to stay in our current apartment for the next year (I'll let you know if something changes.) If you are keeping track, it's been almost 3 years since we moved to NYC. Have you been along for the whole ride? If so, leave me a comment and let me know! Anyways, if you've been following you also know that our current apartment is our THIRD apartment. We really love our location and our space is great (for the city) and we want to stay put this time. Since I won't get the chance (insert a giant sigh of relief) to do my annual "moving clean up" and redecorating, I've been thinking of ways to spruce up our space. At this point, I only want to add things to our apartment that we can move with us later.
These are a few of the things I want to do:
1) Hire carpet/upholstery cleaner. WHY did I get a linen sofa? I know, I was a newlywed and I wasn't thinking about my little J walking around with sticky fingers and leaking sippy cups of milk. (I've resigned to the fact that they ALL leak.) I'm thinking a professional is the only one who can get pedialyte stains out of my carpet and milk stains out of my sofa, unless one of you has a better idea? Resolve only goes so far, we need the professionals. If you live in the NYC area, please send me your recs on the best steam cleaners.
2) Change some of the lighting fixtures. Buy a chandelier for our dining area and maybe an entrance light. Right now we just have the standard that came with the apt. For the chandelier, I want something simple that I can change the shades out when I get bored or when we move to a house someday. For the entrance light, I want something that is versatile and can be used again. I feel like both lighting fixtures would make an immediate difference and would improve the feel of our apartment. A good investment if you ask me...now off to convince my sweet husband.
3) Frame National Championship tickets and Baby J's birth announcement. (The announcement is finally at the framer, just trying to figure out how to lay out the National Championship tickets, cover of Sports Illustrated after Bama won and maybe a pic of us at the game...tips appreciated if you have ever framed something like this!)
4) Fabric cushions for dining/room chairs. Have you seen any good ones?
5) New bedding for our bed. I bought the PB stripe duvet last year and I want to go back to white. I'm bored of the stripes. It just feels cleaner and more crisp. I love white beds!
6) New desk for our room. I'm loving this one and this one. The one we bought 3 years ago from West Elm is a piece and we both hate it.
7) Send more stuff to storage. We got a storage unit last year and it has been a life saver for keeping things simple. Buy more storage containers for J's growing collection of balls, books and all things that light up and make noise and have a million pieces.
8) Sell J's monogrammed clothes (let me know if you have a little boy J and are interested.) I'm keeping the rest...you know just in case I have all boys. I'm pretty sure I'm destined to have boys since I'm such a girly girl.
9) Frame more recent photographs. (Change out others for a fresh look.)
10) New rug for J's room if number 1 doesn't work. At this point it needs to be able to either go in another nursery (no, I'm not pregnant just a planner), or it should be able to move to his big boy room when the time comes.
11) Clean closets and give clothes to goodwill and sell clothes "I just don't want" on blog or ebay
I think this enough to keep me busy. I've got a lot to do before my MIL arrives in a few weeks. She and my FIL are staying at our apt while A and I go to Newport so all drawers much be cleaned out. You know, just in case. =)
Let me know if you have any other ideas of ways to refresh your space.