Monday, March 9, 2009

Update on Life

I have had one hell of a week! Let's see where do I start? My oldest best friend got married Saturday in Atlanta to the most wonderful guy. I have never seen her so happy and she looked absolutely beautiful. That's right...I was there!

You might remember, S had asked me to be a bridesmaid shortly after I found out I was pregnant. We both knew there was a slim chance I would be able to make it so I was made an "honorary bridesmaid" and we agreed I would play it by ear. Since Baby J came early that was really the only way we were able to make the trip! I had told S that the peditrician said Baby J should not fly until he was 2 months, but he actually told me at his 1 month appointment that he would be fine to fly at 7 week. It took some work, but I convinced my husband to take a day off work (he's in the middle of some big deals) and come with me to Atlanta for her wedding so I could surprise her. Our mothers met in lamaze class...we go WAY back. My parents were planning to be there and my little brother and sister were also planning to attend. My Dad and little brother and sister had not had an opportunity yet to meet Baby J so I was so, so excited about the weekend and my big surprise for S!!

Rewind to late Wednesday afternoon. I received a call from my Dad. He let me know that he had gone to the doctor and she suggested he take a stress test. The stress test did not go well and his doctor let him know late Wednesday that he would need a Cardiac Cath at 5:30am the following morning to check on a suspected blockage. I was a bundle of emotions as I realized how scary and serious this was and also that there was no way he and my Mom would be making it to Atlanta. Dad made it through the cath and they had to insert a stent in one of his arteries because he had a 90% blockage. His doctors agreed that his regular doctor saved his life. We were SO lucky and blessed that they caught this! I can't even imagine. I can't even write about what I would do if something had happened to my Daddy. He is my rock and this was one of the scariest 24 hour periods in my life. They released him from the hospital on Friday morning and he is expected to make a full recovery after some Cardiac Rehab.

A and I had to make a game time decision on Wednesday night if we were going to continue with our trip. My Mom had bought a bouncy seat, car seat adapter, pack and play, diapers, wipes, etc, etc and was supposed to pick us up at the Atlanta airport on Thursday evening. My little brother lives in Atlanta, so we decided that we would go ahead and come. My Dad convinced my Mom that he would be okay and my little sister drove home from the U of A instead of going to the wedding. She was his nurse for the weekend so that my Mom could go to the wedding. I know my Mom would normally never leave my Dad's side...but the docs and my Dad said he was fine and she should go. Everyone knew how important it was for her to be there too. She arranged all his meals and for his friends to check on him (in addition to my sister) and headed to Atlanta on Friday, arriving just in time for the rehearsal dinner.

A, Baby J and I arrived on Thursday night. Baby J slept the ENTIRE way there and did not wake up until we arrived at my brother's house. We checked into the Georgian Terrace on Thursday night (they upgraded us to a two bedroom suite which was so nice) and Baby J stayead up for the rest of the evening. Lovely. On Friday, I just walked right into S's bridesmaid luncheon at our country club. I know she was so excited to see us. She said she looked up and was like "oh there is M and Baby J," then a few seconds later she was like "What in the world are they doing here?????" It was so much fun for me!! Did she really think I would miss her big weekend? It was great for her to get to meet baby J. She and her new husband are moving to Germany right after they return from their honeymoon in Costa Rica. (For more on S's adventures, click here to read her blog.)

A's parents graciously offered to come from Birmingham and babysit for all the various events. I think they were pretty excited about some alone time with their grandbaby. We went to the rehearsal dinner on Friday night, but had to leave a little early when the bottle of pumped breast milk we left for them somehow leaked all over the place and Baby J was ready for a meal. Oops--someone forgot to put the valve in the Dr. Brown's bottle. We're still learning! On Friday night, Baby J slept for SEVEN hours. It is his personal best! I felt like a new person on Saturday, it was so lovely. The wedding was at noon on Saturday at Christ the King, followed by the reception at the Fox Theater in the Egyptian Ballroom. Everything was perfect and the weather was heavenly. I'll post a few pictures soon.

We left Atlanta early yesterday morning to come back to the city. Baby J slept the entire way (I think the plane is like a giant bouncy seat complete with white noise.) My Mom made it home to my Dad and he is doing well and goes back to the doctor this week. My sister is coming to visit me this weekend for her spring break so she'll get her fill of her nephew. It was a pretty crazy few days, but I am so glad we decided to make the trip. Seeing someone you love make a lifelong commitment to the perfect guy for them is one of the best things in the entire world.

Congrats S and R! I love you both!


Sweet Simplicity said...

That is a crazy week! I'm so glad your dad is doing ok. That must have been so scary. How fun to surprise your friend!

USCEmily said...

Wow- what an eventful weekend! Glad you got to go to the wedding and I'm also glad to hear that your father is doing well!

Miss E said...

What a whirlwind weekend! I'm so glad that everything turned out well. You'll need a day or two to recuperate after all the emotions and activities!

Barefoot in the Park said...

how exciting that the baby slept the whole way! lucky duck!

GrannySmithGreen said...

Goodness, I'm tired too! What a trip! So glad that your daddy is doing well. I know you all were scared. I could only imagine. Hope baby J is sleeping 8 and 9 hours now!

melcy said...

A friend of mine recently told me about your blog. I have enjoyed reading it and have found that we have a lot in common. : ) I am a southern girl, from ATL. My name starts with a 'M'. I also just had a baby boy, actually exactly one month before you had your baby boy and my baby's name also starts with a 'J'. I live on the UES in Manhattan. We moved here about 7 months ago for my husband's job in finance.
Anyways, I just thought I'd tell you about our commonalities : ). I really enjoy reading your blog. We have been using too! Its great! I enjoyed reading about your recent weekend trip to ATL for the wedding. It sounds like a lot of fun! Oh- glad to hear that your dad is doing well. I am also very close with my dad, so I can understand how you must have felt!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin